A leather briefcase is not only an important accessory to help you organize your business documents and electronics, but it also gives you a more serious edge in the business world.
Briefcase or Laptop Bag…or Messenger Bag
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet?
The briefcase is certainly known by many names, and it can get a bit confusing as you search for the right bag.
- Briefcase. A briefcase is held either in one hand or over one shoulder. Typically, they are made of leather or imitation leather and used in the professional business world.
- Laptop Bag. These days, briefcases have been designed to function also as laptop bags because the needs of businesspeople have changed. Many rely on laptops and tablets and less on hardcopies and paper documents.
- Messenger Bag. The messenger bag, on the other hand, is less formal, made of a huge variety of fabrics and materials, is not always rigid and can be worn across the body or held in the hand.
These are more appropriate for travel and casual settings.
And then you have the bags that function as all three of the above. Below, we’ll help you navigate your way through the various styles as we help you find the best leather briefcase for your needs.
Top 10 Leather Briefcase Chart
Leather Care Products
Depending on the quality of leather that you purchase, there are various products available that you can use to help prolong the life of your briefcase.
Be sure to read the care label and to understand which leather your briefcase is made of in order to choose the right one, especially if you opted for a more expensive one!
Know your terminology as you shop for a leather briefcase.
- Bonded Leather. Imagine pieces of real leather that are shredded up and then mixed together with bonding materials. This creates a pulp mixture, which is then adhered to a cloth or paper lining to make a leather-like substance.
It is usually treated or embossed to imitate genuine leather, but it is far less durable and much thinner than the real thing.
- Genuine Leather. Yes, this is the real thing, but it is not the finest layer of hide that you can purchase. This is the lowest quality of real animal hide leather.
- Top-Grain Leather. This is a medium quality real leather. The way that the leather is processed for use in clothing and accessories means that it can be stamped with a faux grain and any flaws or imperfections in the leather are sanded out.
- Full-Grain Leather. The finest there is. It lasts longer and costs the most, but it’s the real thing and the best that money can buy.
For the Ladies and for the Gents
Briefcases are very useful in the business world, and the designs aren’t limited to men only.
Ladies and businesswomen will find that numbers four, six and ten on our list are both functional and attractive. Two of these also include wheels, making it easy to transport the contents from one place to another.
The rest of the list offers you gentlemen a variety of textures, sizes and colors to suit to help you find the right one to compliment your savvy business style.
Top 3 Best Leather Briefcase Reviews
This is the real deal: 100% full-grain leather designed into a stylish briefcase that will last you 100 years or more.
It will fit most 15-inch laptops in the main compartment along with any important documents (the main compartment is divided) and it has three internal pockets for smaller items.
Instead of using zippers, Velcro and snaps, this bag has a nickel-plated buckle for durability and features reinforced with double-stitched seams on the most stressed parts of the bag.
This is the investment of a lifetime, and if the design of this model isn’t quite up your alley, then have a look at the next one!
This is only the second best leather briefcase on our list simply because we couldn’t choose two number-one choices!
This is a bit more expensive since it has more storage both internally and externally, but it’s made with the same top-of-the-line full-grain leather. It also has three buckles on the front instead of one and comes in four different colors.
Be sure to get some high-quality leather milk to nourish, strengthen and preserve this bag! This will ensure that it makes it too the 100-year mark looking like you bought it just yesterday!
If you’re in need of a briefcase that’s a bit less formal, the Texbo leather briefcase will look great under your arm.
The genuine crazy horse leather used to make this bag has been treated with special waxes that are melted and migrated into the leather. The result is a velvet-effect that will cause the leather to change color when you rub it in one direction. If you press hard, the mark will stay, but if you press lightly, you can rub it in the opposite direction to have it return to the standard color.
Some may feel that these “scratches” make the briefcase look damaged, but it’s normal when leather is treated in this method.